I Woke Up Dead at the Mall by Judy Sheehan
Posted by Krystal Larson at 1:11 AM Saturday, January 30, 2016
When Sarah wakes up dead at the Mall of America, she learns that not only was she murdered, her killer is still on the loose. I WOKE UP DEAD AT THE MALL is a terrifically fun & voicey YA novel that tackles some of life’s – and the afterlife’s – biggest questions.
When you’re sixteen, you have your whole life ahead of you. Unless you’re Sarah. Not to give anything away, but . . . she’s dead. Murdered, in fact. Sarah’s murder is shocking because she couldn’t be any more average. No enemies. No risky behavior. She’s just the girl on the sidelines.
It looks like her afterlife, on the other hand, will be pretty exciting. Sarah has woken up dead at the Mall of America—where the universe sends teens who are murdered—and with the help of her death coach, she must learn to move on or she could meet a fate totally worse than death: becoming a mall walker.
As she tries to finish her unfinished business alongside her fellow dead teens, Sarah falls hard for a cute boy named Nick. And she discovers an uncanny ability to haunt the living. While she has no idea who killed her, or why, someone she loves is in grave danger. Sarah can’t lose focus or she’ll be doomed to relive her final moments again and again forever. But can she live with herself if she doesn’t make her death matter?
I couldn't imagine dying at 16...much less being killed, but that's exactly what happens to Sarah. When she first arrives at her afterlife, she is surprised to find herself in a mall. The Mall of America not only holds nearly everything someone could ever need or want, but it also is home to ghosts! She has an assigned death coach who is supposed to help her work through her anger and sadness at being murdered. A fate worse than death would be to end up as a mindless mall walker. As Sarah weaves her way through her new afterlife she works out the mystery of her murder and discovers that someone she loves may be in danger.
Sarah's character was nice enough. I didn't totally connect with her, but I could imagine being friends with her in real life. I thought the author's idea of an afterlife centering around the Mall of America was comedic and innovative. I've wondered a lot about what, if anything, happens after and I never thought of a mall! Sarah's small romance with Nick added a cute dimension to the plot and another aspect to her decision-making process. I completely understand her wanting to feel like her life meant something and I loved how the author tied up this desire neatly with a bow on top at the end of the book. This novel would be a fun read for young adult/teen readers.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ALA Midwinter Conference Giveaway!
- I Woke Up Dead at the Mall by Judy Sheehan
- A Tyranny of Petticoats: 15 Stories of Belles, Ban...
- Sanctuary Bay by Laura J Burns and Melinda Metz: E...
- 2016 list of First In Line authors!
- A Son's Vow: Blog Tour and Review
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Gail Barrett!
- Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum
- A North Story by Dean Economos: Spotlight and Q&A
- Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace: Review and Giveawa...
- Free Enovella from Holly Bodger!
- Death in a Major by Sarah Fox: Spotlight and Givea...
- The Radiant Road by Katherine Catmull: Review and ...
- Zero Day by Jan Gangsei: Blog Tour and Giveaway!
- CELEBRATING THE DIAMONDS OF ROMANCE: 2016 MARKS TH...
- The Dirt On Ninth Grave Blog Tour
- 6 Random House Children’s Books Authors and Illust...
- The Isle by Jordana Frankel: Review and Giveaway!
- Debt by Rachel Dunning: Blog Tour!
- Your Heart's Desire by Melody Carlson Blog Tour wi...
- This Song is Not For You by Laura Nowlin: Excerpt ...
- The Rogue Not Taken Blog Tour
- Hillary Clinton Presidential Play Set
- Promo and Giveaway! The Resilient One by Cami Chec...
- The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones
- Box of YA/Teen ARCs Giveaway!
- The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLean: Review and G...
- Riders by Veronica Rossi
- Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins
- ▼ January (29)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)