Search This Blog

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Thursday, July 11, 2013

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Goodreads Blurb



Who do you trust when anyone could be an enemy?  What happens when everyone you care about is killed except your kid brother and now you’re separated from him?  Rick Yancey nearly killed me with this novel; my heart skipped beats and I think I might have held my breath for over five minutes at one point.  The 5th Wave tells the story of Cassie, one of the few remaining humans, and her journey to find Sammy, her brother.  While on her journey, Cassie meets Evan Walker, who may or may not be one of the monsters who murdered nearly every other human on the planet.  Evan may be the only chance Cassie has of reuniting with her brother, but he also could mean her death.  Any readers who enjoy suspense and action will like The 5th Wave, but this novel is not perfect.
As much as I liked Rick Yancey’s plot, I felt like his writing could have been better.  Most of the book was written in short sentences that could not paint a picture in my mind.  This lack of description made falling into the novel difficult when I first began reading.  My second complaint is about the switches between the characters’ points of view.  The switches came at odd moments and distracted me, interrupting my focus.  Other than those two issues, I did really like The 5th Wave.  Yancey is a creative author and I do plan to find a copy of the next book.

4 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Book Depository
Barnes and Noble



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    I have this waiting for me on my shelf now! I'm glad it was good, but I hope those 2 issues aren't too bothersome when reading it D:

  1. becsm said...:

    I agree with your review, there were elements of the writing that distracted from the plot but overall I really enjoyed it.

  1. Berenice said...:

    I have a copy of this book waiting to be read. It sounds really great. I will need to push it up my list. Great review, thank you! =)