Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell
Posted by Krystal Larson at 3:11 PM Wednesday, February 17, 2016
For as long as she can remember, Gwendolyn Allister has never had a place to call home—all because her mother believes that monsters are hunting them. Now these delusions have brought them to London, far from the life Gwen had finally started to build for herself. The only saving grace is her best friend, Olivia, who’s coming with them for the summer.
But when Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by shadowy creatures and taken to a world of flesh-eating sea hags and dangerous Fey, Gwen realizes her mom might have been sane all along.
The world Gwen finds herself in is called Neverland, yet it’s nothing like the stories. Here, good and evil lose their meaning and memories slip like water through her fingers. As Gwen struggles to remember where she came from and find a way home, she must choose between trusting the charming fairy-tale hero who says all the right things and the roguish young pirate who promises to keep her safe.
With time running out and her enemies closing in, Gwen is forced to face the truths she’s been hiding from all along. But will she be able to save Neverland without losing herself?
When I first read this book, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I used to love watching Peter Pan as a child. My favorite character was Tiger Lily. When Lisa Maxwell introduced this novel, darker version of Neverland I wasn't sure I liked it in the beginning, but then it began to grow on me. Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by weird supernatural beings and end up in Neverland. Gwen's mother has gone above and beyond to protect her, but her protection only extends so far and once the girls are in Neverland it will take all of Gwen's wit and bravery to survive.
I really liked Gwen's character even though there were parts where she made silly decisions. The story is told from her point of view so it is easy for the read to slip inside her head and experience Neverland as she views it. The Captain is my favorite love interest (though romance is not at all the focus of this book); he is strong, charismatic, and does what needs doing. Pan is a trickster in this book as he is in the movie and Gwen will have to decide if he is friend or foe. I really liked how the author tied the events together and revealed truths from Gwen's past at the end of the novel. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Dreamfever by Kit Alloway
- Meet Tor Editors on Tour!
- The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
- Tease Me Thursday: Promo!
- A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann
- Dead Girl by Tessa Marie: Cover Reveal!
- Blocked by Jennifer Lane: Promo!
- Bad Boy by J.C. Reed and Jackie Steele: Promo and ...
- Down to My Soul by Kennedy Ryan: Promo and Giveawa...
- Sweet Spot by Lucy Felthouse: Release Blitz and Ex...
- Why They Run the Way They Do by Susan Perabo
- Keeper of the Stars by Robin Lee Hatcher
- Tested by Her WebMaster by Normandie Alleman: Prom...
- Lady Bridget's Diary by Maya Rodale
- Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell
- Guest post by Chris A. Jackson and a Giveaway!
- Riders by Veronica Rossi: Blog Tour and Review!
- Read The Love!
- Listen to Me by Kristen Proby: Song Release and Fe...
- Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh
- The Rise of Genesis by M.R. Merrick Cover Reveal!
- Love In London Contest!
- You! Personalized Books by Sandra Magsamen: Revie...
- Escape to Eden by Rachel McClellan: Promo and Give...
- Your New Money Mindset: Create a Healthy Relations...
- The Bride Wore Starlight by Lizbeth Selvig: Excerp...
- All About Imps by Henry Herz: Guest Post!
- STARFLIGHT Launch Blitz & Giveaway
- ▼ February (28)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)