What We Left Behind by Robin Talley
Posted by Krystal Larson at 7:00 PM Friday, October 23, 2015
From the critically acclaimed author of Lies We Tell Ourselves comes an emotional, empowering story of what happens when love isn't enough to conquer all.
Toni and Gretchen are the couple everyone envied in high school. They've been together forever. They never fight. They're deeply, hopelessly in love. When they separate for their first year at college—Toni to Harvard and Gretchen to NYU—they're sure they'll be fine. Where other long-distance relationships have fallen apart, their relationship will surely thrive.
The reality of being apart, however, is a lot different than they expected. As Toni, who identifies as genderqueer, falls in with a group of transgender upperclassmen and immediately finds a sense of belonging that has always been missing, Gretchen struggles to remember who she is outside their relationship.
While Toni worries that Gretchen, who is not trans, just won't understand what is going on, Gretchen begins to wonder where she fits in Toni's life. As distance and Toni's shifting gender identity begins to wear on their relationship, the couple must decide—have they grown apart for good, or is love enough to keep them together?
Everyone can think of that couple from high school that seems to have weathered it all through thick and thin and are "meant to be." It seems as though Toni and Gretchen are this couple as they finish their senior year of high school however they go to different colleges and both begin to discover things about their selves that may not be conducive to them staying together. Now they find themselves at a crossroads, and they need to decide if staying together is the best choice for their future selves.
There are so many real life topics that are touched on in this book that are completely relevant to today's society. Beyond the idea of a failing long distance relationship in college, we get introduced to the idea of a man identifying himself with a gender group called "genderqueer." I had never heard this term before this book, so I had to look it up and do some research, however it is interesting. I feel bad for people who struggle with gender identity, and this is something that Toni faces as he enters college. On top of these ideas, you see a lot of what its like to move away from home into your first year at college and begin to find yourself. As much as some might try to avoid it, many people change when they go away to school. The author does a great job at portraying this and telling a great story. Check out this book, its worth a read.
Reviewed by Chris
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (365)
- This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp: Promo an...
- My First Peanuts: ABC and My First Peanuts: 1,2,3:...
- Persuasion by Martina Boone
- 101 Movies to See Before You Grow Up by Suzette Va...
- Haunted Open House Giveaway!
- Star Wars Psychology edited by Travis Langley
- Christina Dodd Cover Reveal
- The Wild Swans by Jackie Morris: Q&A and Giveaway!...
- We Are All Made Of Molecules Blog Tour
- What We Left Behind by Robin Talley
- Edgewater by Courtney Sheinmel
- Cover Reveal: Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan: Prom...
- Bunch of YA ARCs Giveaway!
- The Great Christmas Knit-Off by Alexandra Brown
- Pathfinder: Beyond the Pool of Stars by Howard And...
- North for Christmas: Cover Reveal and Giveaway!
- Shade Me by Jennifer Brown
- Polka Heartland: Why The Midwest Loves To Polka, P...
- The Wild Swans by Jackie Morris
- Nightmares: The Sleepwalker Tonic by Jason Segel a...
- Romance Giveaway Pack (Paperbacks-USA)!
- The Wrong Bride by Gayle Callen
- Dreamstrider by Lindsay Smith: Promo and Interview...
- Books to Movies Giveaway Hop!
- Being Audrey Hepburn by Mitchell Kriegman
- Divine Vices by Melissa Parkin: Promo and Giveaway...
- War of Rain by H.W. Vivian: Post and Giveaway
- Deadlands: Ghostwalkers by Jonathan Maberry: Givea...
- Divine Vices Blog Tour, Giveaway, and Promo
- The Poet's Secret by Kenneth Zak: Giveaway and Pro...
- Mirrored by Alex Flinn
- A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern
- The Gift of a Charm by Melissa Hill
- The Good Neighbor by Amy Sue Nathan
- Court of Fives by Kate Elliot
- ▼ October (35)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)