A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern
Posted by sailingaway at 1:22 AM Saturday, October 3, 2015
Cammie McGovern follows up her breakout young adult debut, Say What You Will, with this powerful and unforgettable novel about learning from your mistakes, and learning to forgive. Told in alternating points of view, A Step Toward Falling is a poignant, hopeful, and altogether stunning work that will appeal to fans of Jennifer Nevin, Robyn Schneider, and Jandy Nelson.
Emily has always been the kind of girl who tries to do the right thing—until one night when she does the worst thing possible. She sees Belinda, a classmate with developmental disabilities, being attacked. Inexplicably, she does nothing at all.
Belinda, however, manages to save herself. When their high school finds out what happened, Emily and Lucas, a football player who was also there that night, are required to perform community service at a center for disabled people. Soon, Lucas and Emily begin to feel like maybe they're starting to make a real difference. Like they would be able to do the right thing if they could do that night all over again. But can they do anything that will actually help the one person they hurt the most?
We have all probably done something in life that we are not proud of. It may have been small or something that makes us hang our head in shame for months or even years. Some people live their lives trying very hard to avoid having this moment by doing good things and always watching their actions. Emily is one of those people but finds herself in a bad situation that forces her to do some community service when she doesn't help a classmate with developmental disabilities.
This is a story about paying for your mistakes and coming out with a better view on life and the world. I liked the fact that Emily and Lucas seem to develop remorse for what happened and want to take it further by helping all people in general. I like that the author makes the story more real by making this a gradual change. The duo does their service and begin to improve, then realize there is still work to be done, and improve more. This story will make you look deeper within yourself and realize the things you can improve.
Reviewed by Chris
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (365)
- This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp: Promo an...
- My First Peanuts: ABC and My First Peanuts: 1,2,3:...
- Persuasion by Martina Boone
- 101 Movies to See Before You Grow Up by Suzette Va...
- Haunted Open House Giveaway!
- Star Wars Psychology edited by Travis Langley
- Christina Dodd Cover Reveal
- The Wild Swans by Jackie Morris: Q&A and Giveaway!...
- We Are All Made Of Molecules Blog Tour
- What We Left Behind by Robin Talley
- Edgewater by Courtney Sheinmel
- Cover Reveal: Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan: Prom...
- Bunch of YA ARCs Giveaway!
- The Great Christmas Knit-Off by Alexandra Brown
- Pathfinder: Beyond the Pool of Stars by Howard And...
- North for Christmas: Cover Reveal and Giveaway!
- Shade Me by Jennifer Brown
- Polka Heartland: Why The Midwest Loves To Polka, P...
- The Wild Swans by Jackie Morris
- Nightmares: The Sleepwalker Tonic by Jason Segel a...
- Romance Giveaway Pack (Paperbacks-USA)!
- The Wrong Bride by Gayle Callen
- Dreamstrider by Lindsay Smith: Promo and Interview...
- Books to Movies Giveaway Hop!
- Being Audrey Hepburn by Mitchell Kriegman
- Divine Vices by Melissa Parkin: Promo and Giveaway...
- War of Rain by H.W. Vivian: Post and Giveaway
- Deadlands: Ghostwalkers by Jonathan Maberry: Givea...
- Divine Vices Blog Tour, Giveaway, and Promo
- The Poet's Secret by Kenneth Zak: Giveaway and Pro...
- Mirrored by Alex Flinn
- A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern
- The Gift of a Charm by Melissa Hill
- The Good Neighbor by Amy Sue Nathan
- Court of Fives by Kate Elliot
- ▼ October (35)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)