Search This Blog

The Last Witness by Jerry Amernic

Saturday, March 28, 2015


The year is 2039, and Jack Fisher is the last living survivor of the Holocaust. Set in a world that is abysmally complacent about events of the last century, Jack is a 100-year-old man whose worst memories took place before he was 5. His story hearkens back to the Jewish ghetto of his birth and to Auschwitz where, as a little boy, he had to fend for himself to survive after losing his family. Jack becomes the central figure in a missing-person investigation when his granddaughter suddenly disappears. While assisting police, he finds himself in danger and must reach into the darkest corners of his memory to come out alive.

Goodreads Summary

When I read this book I could just hear the phrase "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" in my mind.  I absolutely loved learning about history in school and was lucky enough to be in an AP class that did not skim over the Holocaust.  At times, I feel like what we are taught in school is not in depth or fully explained.  I think it would be beneficial to allow students to think through the events themselves.  I really enjoyed the author's perspective on the horrible events and atrocities.  I liked the idea of combing through your memory to help solve a mystery and utilizing past memories.  This book was a good read and hard to put down.

4 Stars


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: