The Rains by Gregg Hurwitz: Review and Giveaway!
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:54 PM Saturday, November 26, 2016
Determined to save Patrick’s life and the lives of the remaining kids, the brothers embark on a mission to uncover the truth about the parasites—and what they find is horrifying.
Battling an enemy not of this earth, Chance and Patrick become humanity’s only hope for salvation.
This was one of the most inventive books of 2016 for me. Gregg Hurwitz crafted a masterful tale blending biology with science fiction zombies. Chance and Patrick, the protagonists of our story, are two brothers who manage to pull the kids who are not yet zombified together and form a bit of a base at a school. They only know that after a certain age no one is safe from the brain-eating spores and will turn into a host for some unknown species. The kids struggle to grasp both the situation and what has happened to their loved ones. Chance and Patrick make some startling discoveries and there is a bit of a love interest (not too much of the story, but enough to spice things up) semi love triangle.
I really liked the boys' characters. Patrick was patient and kind. He was more of a thinker. Chance was a little more impulsive, passionate, and more of a doer. The pair worked well together and had each other at a time when most of the kids had lost their families. Patrick was turning 18 not too long after the zombies were discovered and Chance knew that he had to discover the source and, hopefully, the cure before his brother's 18th birthday. The story is told mainly from Chance's perspective and made to seem as if the book is a compilation of diary entries (a la World War Z). I throroughly enjoyed this book and can't recommend it enough to anyone who enjoys zombies, fast-paced action, and a unique plot.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- The Dare and the Doctor by Kate Noble: Promo and G...
- Gratitude Giveaway Hop!
- Alive by Chandler Baker
- Trust My Heart by Carol J. Post
- The Rains by Gregg Hurwitz: Review and Giveaway!
- Unquiet Land by Sharon Shinn
- Did I Mention I Miss You by Estelle Maskame: Excer...
- Evertaster: The Delicious City by Adam Glendon Sid...
- Fire In You by Jennifer L. Armentrout: Promo!
- The Charming Life of Izzy Malone: Promo and Giveaw...
- The Visitors Book by Sophie Hannah: Guest Post and...
- Cold-Case Christianity For Kids by J. Warner Walla...
- Guardian of the Way by Diane Moat: Promo and Givea...
- The Weaver by Emmi Itaranta
- Puppy Pals: Murphy by Susan Hughes: Excerpt and Gi...
- Return to the Secret Garden by Holly Webb: Excerpt...
- Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson
- Unnatural Deeds by Cyn Balog: Promo and Giveaway!
- Spin the Sky by Jill MacKenzie: Guest Post and Giv...
- We Are Still Tornadoes by Michael Kun: Q&A and Pro...
- ▼ November (20)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (816)