The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:02 PM Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.
I adored this book. Another take on the "zombie" genre, this book is inventive and a fun read! Melanie is a smart girl who is being studied. She doesn't know completely what is going on as she was raised within a sort of lab. She is not a normal child, but there are some things that are stable for her. She has a favorite teacher, Miss Justineau. That teacher is one of the rare teachers who sees the children as children and not laboratory specimens. Melanie enjoys learning about the outside world as well as a whole host of other topics. She has classmates that are sort of friends. She is also considered highly intelligent and dangerous.
The reader will be introduced into a world where fungus dominates and affects humans in odd, surreal ways. The author does a brilliant job of describing the dystopian society and creating the feel of desperation and a need to solve the problem. The solution to the fungus is nothing that the reader will easily guess. This book kept me hooked since page one; I've reread portions here and there and have pushed this book on others. This was a really unique concept and highly recommended to young adult/adult readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (366)
- First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
- Guest Post: Sofia Quintero!
- If I Ran the Zoo by Dr. Seuss
- Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick
- Guest Post: Caroline B Cooney!
- The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler
- Forever For a Year by b.t. gottfred: Blog Tour and...
- Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang
- Someday Home by Lauraine Snelling
- The Cage by Megan Shepherd
- The Single Game: Promo and Giveaway!
- The Midnight Witch by Paula Brackston
- SWEET AND SAVORY SATURDAY
- That Chesapeake Summer by Mariah Stewart: Q&A
- Mama's Boy by ReShonda Tate Billingsley: Promo!
- Guest Post and Giveaway: Simone Pond!
- Reading Alley Grand Opening Celebration! #ReadingA...
- Brutal Youth by Anthony Breznican
- Win Friends and Customers by Lawrence J Bookbinder...
- Salt & Stone by Victoria Scott
- Along the Way: Promo and Giveaway!
- The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes
- The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
- ▼ July (23)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)