Throne of Darkness by Douglas Nicholas: Review and Giveaway!
Posted by Krystal Larson at 7:10 PM Sunday, April 19, 2015
Perfect for fans of Game of Thrones, this novel from acclaimed author Douglas Nicholas continues the gripping dark fantasy series that Kirkus Reviews describes as "a more profound Harry Potter for adults."
It's 1215 in northwest England, and mystical Irish queen Maeve and her unlikely band of warriors must protect the region from a chilling fate. Word of a threat reaches the Northern barons: King John has plotted to import an African sorcerer and his sinister clan of blacksmiths, whose unearthly powers may spell destruction for the entire kingdom. Along with her lover, Jack, her gifted niece, Nemain, and Nemain's newlywed husband, Hob (whose hidden talents will soon be revealed), Maeve must overcome a supernatural threat unlike any she's seen before.
With his characteristic blend of historical adventure and intoxicating mythological elements, Nicholas once again "goes for the throat...with brilliant writing and whip-smart plotting."
(New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Maberry). This is a richly woven tale that will leave you hungry for more.
I didn't read the whole series, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this book! I thought the characters were interesting and enjoyed getting to know each of them individually. The plot was fast-paced and I always wanted to know what was on the next page. This book involves witches, sorcerers, the Church, blackmail, and kings. The fight scenes were chaotic and there was plenty of action to go around. I was never sure where the author was going to take the book next. The plot was interwoven with myths, religion, and action. I did have trouble following every character and understanding the intricate plot, at times. This book is recommended for adult readers.
3 1/2 Stars
Please leave a comment with your name and email to win a physical copy of this book (USA).
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (327)
- All The Rage: Q&A and Giveaway!
- This Summer Read The Stars!
- Chaos by Jamie Shaw Cover Reveal!
- A Seal's Pleasure Release Blitz!
- 20 Book Giveaway (Young Adult/Adult 2015 ARCs)
- Dark Debt by Chloe Neill
- Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight
- #SexySeals Facebook Party (with giveaways!)
- Ever After at Sweetheart Ranch: Quiz!
- Discounted Book Series!
- Eternal Sacrifice Book Cover: Reveal and Giveaway!...
- Giveaway: A Pocket Star Ebook Kentucky Derb-E Trea...
- Fields of Elysium: Free Promo!
- Throne of Darkness by Douglas Nicholas: Review and...
- Under Dark Skies by AJ Scudiere
- The Midnight Witch: Deleted Scene!
- Audible LoveFest!
- Cover Reveal for Easy Target!
- Loving Dallas: Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Game On by Gabra Zackman: Feature!
- Black Scorpion by Jon Land: Excerpt, Interview, an...
- Spellbinder Cover Reveal!
- Fool For Books Giveaway Hop!
- ▼ April (23)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)