A hint of Recovery Road, a sample of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and a cut of Juno. A Really Awesome Mess is a laugh-out-loud, gut-wrenching/heart-warming story of two teenagers struggling to find love and themselves.
Two teenagers. Two very bumpy roads taken that lead to Heartland Academy.
Justin was just having fun, but when his dad walked in on him with a girl in a very compromising position, Justin's summer took a quick turn for the worse. His parents' divorce put Justin on rocky mental ground, and after a handful of Tylenol lands him in the hospital, he has really hit rock bottom.
Emmy never felt like part of her family. She was adopted from China. Her parents and sister tower over her and look like they came out of a Ralph Lauren catalog-- and Emmy definitely doesn't. After a scandalous photo of Emmy leads to vicious rumors around school, she threatens the boy who started it all on Facebook.
Justin and Emmy arrive at Heartland Academy, a reform school that will force them to deal with their issues, damaged souls with little patience for authority. But along the way they will find a ragtag group of teens who are just as broken, stubborn, and full of sarcasm as themselves. In the end, they might even call each other friends.
A funny, sad, and remarkable story, A Really Awesome Mess is a journey of friendship and self-discovery that teen readers will surely sign up for.
Everything you ever needed to know about me
- I am a misplaced Jersey Girl living in the Midwest.
- My current favorite place on the planet is Napa, California. Runner up: LBI.
- I’m obsessed with the farm-to-table movement.
- I am also obsessed with this farm-to-table restaurant: Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch.
- My family and friends mean everything to me.
- I believe that love conquers all.
- My biggest unfulfilled dream is to be on The Amazing Race.
- The closest I’ve ever come to that dream: I was a finalist to become a contestant on I Survived a Japanese Game Show.
- I also got my family an interview to be on The Great American Road Trip but everyone refused to go.
- I’ve run two marathons and four half marathons. Favorite and personal best: Rock ‘n Roll Arizona.
- I learned to play the guitar as an adult, and I love to write songs. If you have any connections at Toyota, please let them know I have a killer song about a Prius that would be perfect for their next advertising campaign.
- I played Mamapalooza twice with my former “mom” band (without passing out, which is a pretty big feat considering my stage fright).
- I row with the New Trier Masters, defying the stereotype that you have to be big and tall to be a strong member of a crew.
- I am a 2013 graduate of the Creative Nonfiction program at the University of Chicago’s Graham School.
- I’m studying with my nonfiction hero, Cheryl Strayed, at Tin House Writer’s Workshop this summer.
- The last time I attended Tin House, I was inspired to write a memoir about my experience. Working title: Bret Michaels at the Symphony.
- I may or may not have seen Bret Michaels in concert more than a handful of times. I may or may not have met his drummer. I also may or may not have watched every episode of Rock of Love, Life as I Know It, and his season of The Celebrity Apprentice.
- The correct answer is D: All of the above.
or Twitter: @bhalpin
Follow him on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/authorbrendanhalpin?fref=ts
Enter the big giveaway here!
a Rafflecopter giveaway