Unending Devotion by Jodi Hedlund
Posted by Krystal Larson at 1:38 AM Wednesday, September 26, 2012
In Her Darkest Hours, Is He the Man She Needs?
Lily Young longs to find her lost sister or will die trying. Heedless of any danger, she searches logging camps and towns, posing as a photographer's assistant. And then she arrives in Harrison, Michigan--and the sights of Connell McCormick.
Connell is determined to increase the fortune of his lumber-baron father and figures as long as he's living an upright life, that's what matters. But when Lily arrives in town she upends his world, forcing him to confront the truth that dangerous men have gained too much power while good men turn a blind eye.
Vexing but persuasive, Lily soon secures Connell's help, drawing them ever closer to each other. Will standing for what's right cost them both everything?
"Hedlund intricately balances romance and drama, asking where the line between good and evil lies and exploring the dangers that erupt when that line becomes blurred. Hedlund's tale is exciting and unpredictable to the very end." --Publishers Weekly
"Full of period detail and engaging dialogue, Hedlund's (A Noble Groom) historical should appeal to Susan Higginbotham fans." --Library Journal
"Unending Devotion is a lovely and real representation of sisterly love and how even that can't compare to the love God has for us." --CBA Retailers and Resources
Barnes and Noble Summary
Oren and Connell are terrific characters! Oren’s protectiveness and threats – “Mister, you’re a dead man” – made me smile every time he entered a scene…funny and touching. I think I love Connell. His mam taught him to take care of a woman’s needs before his own. He loves his mom, doesn’t want to disappoint his dad, and stands up to crude loggers to protect a woman from unwanted advances and probable rape. Picture Hedlund’s description of Connell: eyebrow quirking with humor, unruly lock of blond hair, green eyes, suspenders, muscular, plaid coat, spectacles, and exasperation over the dangerous situations Lily Young gets herself into.
Prepare to be frustrated with Lily. She’s so determined to find her sister and save young girls who are sex slaves near the logger camps; but, she’ll drive you crazy with her insistence on walking into danger. Halfway through the story, I was mentally telling Connell to give up on her.
Really though – since Unending Devotion is based on a true story, Lily is a character to admire. There were logging towns in 1800s America where young girls were kidnapped and forced into prostitution. I wish that I had read the “Author’s Note” before I read the story. I would have been rooting for Lily; I wouldn’t have been so annoyed by her determined recklessness or by her sister, after she rescues her. Knowing the history behind the fiction would have added to my interest and enjoyment of the story…and the main character Lily.
*Reviewed by Colleen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (364)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Sweetest Taboo Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Winner Announcements!
- Chasing the Skip by Janci Patterson
- On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves
- Blogger Award Voting Starts Sunday Sept. 30th
- Mother of Pearl by Kellie Coates Gilbert
- Have a Nice Day by Julie Halpern
- Promised by Caragh O'Brien
- Emily's Dress and Other Missing Things by Kathryn ...
- Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto
- Safekeeping by Karen Hesse
- Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck
- Taming the Wind by Tracie Peterson
- With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin
- Release Cover Reveal!!! (Contest for the Blogger w...
- Banned Books Week Giveaway!
- Unending Devotion by Jodi Hedlund
- Concilium Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Stuck In A Good Book Giveaway!
- Touching the Sky By: Tracie Peterson
- To Love and Cherish: Bridal Veil Island By Tracie ...
- 2012 Blogger Awards!
- Sacred by Elana K. Arnold
- The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck
- Resurrection Express by Stephen Romano
- Book Blast: Freedom Road Giveaway!!!
- 2012 Blogger Awards!
- Getting Roosevelt-A Homeowner's Nightmare by Yvonn...
- Heroes Live Forever Blitz and Giveaway (ebook and ...
- Demons Blog Tour: Guest Post!
- Under the Sea Hop!
- My Stubborn Heart By Becky Wade
- Children of Angels by Kathryn Dahlstrom
- Timeless Desire by Gwyn Cready
- Shadows Before the Sun by Kelly Gay
- Resurrecting the Street: Overcoming the Greatest O...
- Books To Movies Giveaway Hop!
- The Romanov Stone By Robert C. Yeager
- Rafael Guest Post and Giveaway ($10 Amazon Giftcar...
- Entice by Jessica Shirvington: Review and Giveaway...
- House of Shadows by Rachel Neumeier-Review and Gue...
- Taming the Wind Giveaway! "Unending Devotion" by J...
- How to Find the Right One & Make It Last! Spotlig...
- Reading Clean Giveaway Hop!
- The Haven by Suzanne Woods Fisher
- Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
- God Loves You-Chester Blue Book Blast Giveaway!
- 200,000 Page Views Giveaway!
- Win the first two books of the Iron Fey series by ...
- Amarok by Angela J. Townsend
- War Stories: Short Fiction by Elisabeth Doyle
- Awesome Harper Collins Giveaways and Apps!
- Carnival of Souls Twitter Party!
- Win a Nikon COOLPIX Camera from Jody Hedlund! RSVP...
- Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman
- ▼ September (57)