The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck
Posted by Krystal Larson at 1:06 AM Thursday, September 20, 2012
When deprived of her most prized sense, Daphne discovers a life she never expected, right under her nose.
Daphne Sweeten has left Paris - and a career she loves - in order to marry a man she loves even more. But when he stands her up on their wedding day, Daphne's left reeling. Trained as a professional "nose" or perfume creator, Daphne soon realizes that her sense of smell has somehow disappeared too.
In the days following she moves to Dayton, Ohio, to take on a job creating fragrances for household products. Without her sense of smell, she must rely on her chemistry skills, and hope her handsome new boss, Jesse Lightner, doesn't notice before she can figure out how to get it back.
Despite her desire to return to Paris, she can't deny the way Jesse makes her feel. But when Daphne approaches former contacts, she learns her missing ex-fiance has somehow snagged her old job.
As Daphne and Jesse work on a signature scent for their new line, she feels God at work in her life as never before. And the promise of what is possible is as fresh as the scent of rain.
When I was a kid, my grandpa used to tease me…saying that we could have been professional tasters. I thought the idea of that kind of job was great but odd; a professional “nose” seems even funnier – but also great! Doing her best work for her wedding favor is such a romantic, sweet idea. Reading that Daphne was left at the altar – was horrible! I don’t think I’ve read this author before, but she created the ultimate “tool” (everyone Daphne knows refers to him that way):Mark Goodsmith. Expecting an apology from her..cheating her out of home, job, and money – then, trying to take credit for her wedding favor formula! The author also creates additional frustrating people for Daphne’s life: Dave the boss and Kensie the bossy.
It’s maddening to read how Daphne tries to find ways to understand and forgive Mark’s betrayals as they heap up. She’s frustratingly too good to be true, but from a spiritually guided personality like her, who believes that scent has the power to “transform the energy of a place”…like “an imaginary friend”, Billerbeck makes her reactions possible. I loved when Daphne explained the title – her favorite rainy days - spent with her grandfather. A rainy day is “like God’s mercies are new every day” …unconditional love.
Daphne had me imagining what scent would describe my husband, each child, mom, dad, etc… Would they be strong, woodsy, light, floral, cloying, baby soft…? I loved the protectiveness Jesse feels for Daphne – his interest is so pure, so high-minded…and sweetly questionable – because he is so attracted to her. This sweet romance/friendship progresses so slowly, but then, results in love and a proposal surprisingly quickly. The happy ending may seem too quick, but it’s really happy. Jesse considers his son’s needs and Daphne’s needs for romance, career, home, and love. She DESERVES terrific Jesse after surviving Mark!
*Reviewed by Colleen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (325)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Sweetest Taboo Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Winner Announcements!
- Chasing the Skip by Janci Patterson
- On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves
- Blogger Award Voting Starts Sunday Sept. 30th
- Mother of Pearl by Kellie Coates Gilbert
- Have a Nice Day by Julie Halpern
- Promised by Caragh O'Brien
- Emily's Dress and Other Missing Things by Kathryn ...
- Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto
- Safekeeping by Karen Hesse
- Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck
- Taming the Wind by Tracie Peterson
- With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin
- Release Cover Reveal!!! (Contest for the Blogger w...
- Banned Books Week Giveaway!
- Unending Devotion by Jodi Hedlund
- Concilium Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Stuck In A Good Book Giveaway!
- Touching the Sky By: Tracie Peterson
- To Love and Cherish: Bridal Veil Island By Tracie ...
- 2012 Blogger Awards!
- Sacred by Elana K. Arnold
- The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck
- Resurrection Express by Stephen Romano
- Book Blast: Freedom Road Giveaway!!!
- 2012 Blogger Awards!
- Getting Roosevelt-A Homeowner's Nightmare by Yvonn...
- Heroes Live Forever Blitz and Giveaway (ebook and ...
- Demons Blog Tour: Guest Post!
- Under the Sea Hop!
- My Stubborn Heart By Becky Wade
- Children of Angels by Kathryn Dahlstrom
- Timeless Desire by Gwyn Cready
- Shadows Before the Sun by Kelly Gay
- Resurrecting the Street: Overcoming the Greatest O...
- Books To Movies Giveaway Hop!
- The Romanov Stone By Robert C. Yeager
- Rafael Guest Post and Giveaway ($10 Amazon Giftcar...
- Entice by Jessica Shirvington: Review and Giveaway...
- House of Shadows by Rachel Neumeier-Review and Gue...
- Taming the Wind Giveaway! "Unending Devotion" by J...
- How to Find the Right One & Make It Last! Spotlig...
- Reading Clean Giveaway Hop!
- The Haven by Suzanne Woods Fisher
- Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
- God Loves You-Chester Blue Book Blast Giveaway!
- 200,000 Page Views Giveaway!
- Win the first two books of the Iron Fey series by ...
- Amarok by Angela J. Townsend
- War Stories: Short Fiction by Elisabeth Doyle
- Awesome Harper Collins Giveaways and Apps!
- Carnival of Souls Twitter Party!
- Win a Nikon COOLPIX Camera from Jody Hedlund! RSVP...
- Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman
- ▼ September (57)