To Love and Cherish: Bridal Veil Island By Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller
Posted by Krystal Larson at 11:58 AM Saturday, September 22, 2012
A Story of Romance and Intrigue on a Beautiful Island Resort, From Two Bestselling Authors
When Melinda Colson's employer announces they'll be leaving Bridal Veil Island to return to their home in Cleveland, Melinda hopes her beau, Evan, will propose. But Evan isn't prepared to make an offer of marriage until he knows he can support a wife and family. Evan works as the assistant gamekeeper on Bridal Veil but hopes to be promoted soon.
Letters strengthen their love, but Melinda remains frustrated at being apart from the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Then she learns of a devastating hurricane in Bridal Veil and knows she must give up her position as a lady's maid and make her way back to Evan.
The destruction on Bridal Veil is extensive, meaning every available person is needed to help with cleanup and repairs. Melinda finds a new job on the island, but Evan seems even busier than before, meaning she still never gets to see him. Has she given her heart to the wrong man?
And when Melinda overhears a vicious plot against President McKinley, who is scheduled to visit the island, is Evan the one she should turn to? Will Melinda and Evan ever get the chance to stand at the front of a church and promise "to love and cherish"?
The employer/lady’s maid relationship between Melinda Colson and Mrs. Mifflin was interesting to read. Mrs. Mifflin’s harangue… “or you’ll see a decrease in your wages” is funny but scary to think about. How horrible to have your wages, room, and board dependent upon such a demanding woman. I’m glad that I liked her so much better at the book’s end! (She finally appreciated Melinda.)
The fictitious Bridal Veil Island sounds beautiful. Thinking about the wealth that built “cottages” and clubhouses to entertain the extremely rich created a great setting for a story. Descriptions of the hurricane destruction reminded me of disasters like Katrina; I thought the authors conveyed the damage really well. Introducing President and Mrs. McKinley added to the story.
Supporting characters like Harland and Emma contributed great dialogue. Evan’s and Melinda’s personalities and romance were harder to care about. Evan’s clueless response to Melinda’s hints that she would like to stay on the island and get married seemed hard to believe. Then…when he continued for half the book to seem sssoooo dim about why she was annoyed…it bothered me. It was almost hard to continue reading. The authors introduce other love interests for Melinda and Evan; but since neither character seems to be really expressive/emotional, even the jealousy feels controlled. I loved when Melinda was given so much responsibility on the island – sounds like a fun job! Maybe their strong faith and attempts to follow God’s will made their responses seem calm and controlled. In the end, I was glad I kept reading. Evan and Melinda were so honest, moral, and dedicated to each other – I liked them better when I could think back on the whole story. The last few chapters supplied the action and humor that I missed in the rest of the book.
Three and a Half Stars
*Reviewed by Colleen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Sweetest Taboo Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Winner Announcements!
- Chasing the Skip by Janci Patterson
- On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves
- Blogger Award Voting Starts Sunday Sept. 30th
- Mother of Pearl by Kellie Coates Gilbert
- Have a Nice Day by Julie Halpern
- Promised by Caragh O'Brien
- Emily's Dress and Other Missing Things by Kathryn ...
- Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto
- Safekeeping by Karen Hesse
- Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck
- Taming the Wind by Tracie Peterson
- With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin
- Release Cover Reveal!!! (Contest for the Blogger w...
- Banned Books Week Giveaway!
- Unending Devotion by Jodi Hedlund
- Concilium Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst
- Seeker of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Stuck In A Good Book Giveaway!
- Touching the Sky By: Tracie Peterson
- To Love and Cherish: Bridal Veil Island By Tracie ...
- 2012 Blogger Awards!
- Sacred by Elana K. Arnold
- The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck
- Resurrection Express by Stephen Romano
- Book Blast: Freedom Road Giveaway!!!
- 2012 Blogger Awards!
- Getting Roosevelt-A Homeowner's Nightmare by Yvonn...
- Heroes Live Forever Blitz and Giveaway (ebook and ...
- Demons Blog Tour: Guest Post!
- Under the Sea Hop!
- My Stubborn Heart By Becky Wade
- Children of Angels by Kathryn Dahlstrom
- Timeless Desire by Gwyn Cready
- Shadows Before the Sun by Kelly Gay
- Resurrecting the Street: Overcoming the Greatest O...
- Books To Movies Giveaway Hop!
- The Romanov Stone By Robert C. Yeager
- Rafael Guest Post and Giveaway ($10 Amazon Giftcar...
- Entice by Jessica Shirvington: Review and Giveaway...
- House of Shadows by Rachel Neumeier-Review and Gue...
- Taming the Wind Giveaway! "Unending Devotion" by J...
- How to Find the Right One & Make It Last! Spotlig...
- Reading Clean Giveaway Hop!
- The Haven by Suzanne Woods Fisher
- Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
- God Loves You-Chester Blue Book Blast Giveaway!
- 200,000 Page Views Giveaway!
- Win the first two books of the Iron Fey series by ...
- Amarok by Angela J. Townsend
- War Stories: Short Fiction by Elisabeth Doyle
- Awesome Harper Collins Giveaways and Apps!
- Carnival of Souls Twitter Party!
- Win a Nikon COOLPIX Camera from Jody Hedlund! RSVP...
- Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman
- ▼ September (57)