Search This Blog

Immortalis Carpe Noctem (Immortalis #1): Katie Salidas

Thursday, June 2, 2011
I was surprised that I hadn't heard of this author after I read this novel. The writing is clear and descriptive, filled with foreshadowing and foreboding. The characters are well-developed and the main character is fun and likable.
The main character, Alyssa, immediately caught my attention; living a slightly boring life from day to day, Alyssa can't really complain. She has good friends, a job, and a home. This all changes when Alyssa decides to walk home from the cafe through a dark campus. Alyssa is attacked and nearly dies. To save her life, she is "turned". I have to admit that I was really happy when her attackers did not get away easily either. I can't imagine (thankfully) what it must be to have to drink blood to live; I was glad that the author made Alyssa's new eyes pale and cloudy with hints of blue and stayed away from the cliched red. Right away I know that this character is a fighter, she will make the most of her change even though she had no choice in the matter.
Lysander, her handsome savior, needs to keep her changing underwraps while still showing her the ropes of vampirehood. I was glad to see the author put in her own ideas about vampires and came up with quite a few new ones I hadn't heard. Alyssa quickly learns that being a vampire is not necessarily idyllic, however; and unsanctioned turning results in death to both the turned and the turner. Alyssa and Lysander will have to be careful to protect and prolong their lives. Will Alyssa "come into her own"? Will there be repercussions to Alyssa's turning? Will any vampire hunting organizations get their hands on her?
This book was an exciting read. I enjoyed the main character, so I didn't want to see anything bad happen to her. I was really rooting for her to turn out to be happy with her new existence and maybe even end up with Lysander. I would recommend this book to young adult/adults who enjoy the paranormal with a touch of romance.

0 comments: