Search This Blog

Soul Quest: Amy Jones

Friday, May 20, 2011
Amazon Synopsis:
Do you remember how horrified you were about the idea of attending high school? I remember ticking off those last miserable days of my summer vacation following my eighth grade year. Maybe you don’t, maybe you were one of 'those people.' You know who I’m talking about, people like Melissa Small, the distinguished District Attorney, Larry Small’s daughter, popular, gorgeous... and absolutely terrifying to someone like me, Liv Glyn. No, I am far from measuring up to the standards required to make Melissa’s crowd. I’m not even close. I’m just a simple man’s daughter, mostly tolerated by my peers with average looks. If this isn’t depressing enough for you, stay tuned, it gets worse. I was commanded with Spirit at birth by the Great Spirit, Hala. I know, it sounds crazy but it’s true. If you think it's difficult being a teenager, try being a teenager who was born destined to save the world from soul sucking Daevas and their mutant progeny Aengels. There are four of us. My companions of Spirit are Laith, Brayan and Meena. Melissa Small is Laith’s step sister and she is always meddling where she doesn’t belong, further complicating our lives. To make matters even worse, my best friend Jedd is apparently aware of things that are typically undetectable to ordinary humans. So, I have to lie to Jedd, the boy who has been my constant standby since the third grade, to shield him from the horrible and very dangerous truth. Did I mention that I think I’m falling in love with him? The term awkward doesn’t even begin to cover it, trust me. Welcome to the mess that is my life.

This book is great.  The author captures the true young adult voice and creates a teenage atmosphere.  The plot is intriguing and novel, the characters fresh and charismatic.  The mystery moved the book along quickly with the romance being the added draw-in for the reader.  This book wasn't a run-of-the-mill teenage romance, the plot prevents the reader from thinking that.  The main character easily endeared herself to the reader, the meddling supporting character provided a good foil for the main character as well as some comic relief.  The background of the plot is both exciting and interesting, the reader will not be disappointed.  There is a bit of something for everyone: intrigue, romance, action, drama, young adult, mystery, comedy, etc...  The ending was a little bit surprising to say the least, but this reader was happy to learn that there would be another book to come!  This book is great for young adult readers. 

0 comments: