Search This Blog

Anna and the French Kiss: Stephanie Perkins

Tuesday, May 3, 2011
I loved the author, Stephanie Perkins, so I was not at all surprised that I loved this book.  Many scenes made me want to roll my eyes, yell at the main characters, and comfort the main characters.  A write who evokes a response in the reader must be terrific at her art :)
The main character, Anna, is upset at being forced to go to a boarding school in Paris.  Understandable, who would want to uproot his/her life and take off?  Along the way, she meets Etienne, who quickly becomes her friend and sometimes tour guide.  As the novel progresses, she quickly wants Etienne to become more than friends-even though he has a girlfriend, one he doesn't seem to care about much when around Anna.  Anna takes the reader through her sometimes painful boarding school classes, the great culture of Paris, the movie theater to view foreign films and really take in the culture, and back home where she experiences quite a few disappointments. 
I liked this novel; Anna was a fun, spunky character who was caring to Etienne when he found out that his mother could be dying from cancer.  Etienne frustrated me when he seemed to lead Anna on, never really telling her he did or didn't like her (except in one, drunken chapter).  The ending was a good one with no cliff-hangers, I was really happy that the author believes in a happy ending every once in a while too.  I would recommend this novel to young adults/teens who enjoy a book about friendship and romance. 

0 comments: