Search This Blog

I'm the Girl by Courtney Summers

Saturday, November 12, 2022



The new groundbreaking queer thriller from New York Times bestselling and Edgar-award Winning author Courtney Summers.

When sixteen-year-old Georgia Avis discovers the dead body of thirteen-year-old Ashley James, she teams up with Ashley's older sister, Nora, to find and bring the killer to justice before he strikes again. But their investigation throws Georgia into a world of unimaginable privilege and wealth, without conscience or consequence, and as Ashley’s killer closes in, Georgia will discover when money, power and beauty rule, it might not be a matter of who is guilty—but who is guiltiest.

A spiritual successor to the 2018 breakout hit, SadieI'm the Girl is a masterfully written, bold, and unflinching account of how one young woman feels in her body as she struggles to navigate a deadly and predatory power structure while asking readers one question: if this is the way the world is, do you accept it?

Goodreads Summary


I love this author and was more than excited to pick up this book right around Halloween. It didn't disappoint. I quickly became engaged in the mystery behind who killed Ashley James. Georgia is introduced as a young sleuth who the world views as beautiful. Unfortunately, she's economically disadvantaged and hopes to utilize her beauty to break out of the poverty cycle she's trapped in. The world the author introduces us to is seedy and, at times, just gross. It was hard to read some of the more sexually charged scenes. I was happy that the author included a semblance of female friendship in Nora's character. I felt that Nora and Georgia worked very well together to tackle a world that neither is accustomed to. 

Georgia's character took some adjusting for me to get used to. I definitely didn't always like her and sometimes I regretted rooting for her, but I liked that the author was able to pull off writing about a character I didn't even really like and I still wanted to finish the book. I'm the Girl focused on character development and revealed possible struggles that young girls in Ashley's situation may go through. The ending, I will warn future readers, killed me. I was hoping for a different ending and the final scene that I read was not even one that I was anticipating. 

3 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: