Search This Blog

The Murderer's Ape by Jakob Wegelius

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A captivating story about dark truths and heinous crimes as well as unexpected friendships, with detailed black-and-white illustrations throughout. Perfect for fans of mystery and detective stories.
 
Sally Jones is not only a loyal friend, she’s an extraordinary individual. In overalls or in a maharaja’s turban, this unique gorilla moves among humans without speaking but understanding everything. She and the Chief are devoted comrades who operate a cargo boat. A job they are offered pays big bucks, but the deal ends badly, and the Chief is falsely convicted of murder. 
 
For Sally Jones this is the start of a harrowing quest for survival and to clear the Chief's name. Powerful forces are working against her, and they will do anything to protect their secrets.

Goodreads Summary

I've never read a book where the main character was a loyal gorilla, but I'm glad I picked up this book! Sally Jones, a kind and friendly gorilla, is best friends with the Chief. When the Chief is accused of murdering someone Sally Jones steps up. She knows that she must find a way to prove that everyone is wrong, but she does not know how and she doesn't really speak. What ensues is a fun tale demonstrating the love and friendship between a gorilla and a man. 

I loved Sally Jones' character. If it was possible to make me like a gorilla anymore I'd be surprised. She seemed very real and present to me. I loved how she was portrayed as intelligently understanding everything going on around her. The relationship she and Chief had was intimate friendship. They had a deep familial bond. To me, the mystery of the true murderer took second place next to Sally and Chief's friendship. The author spent a great deal of time detailing the bond and the characters.  I enjoyed that this was a foreign-translated novel. This is one of the only times I've finished a book and looked up its author. 

5 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: