Search This Blog

Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson

Saturday, November 10, 2018



After a harrowing journey across the country, Leah Westfall and her friends have finally arrived in California and are ready to make their fortunes in the Gold Rush. Lee has a special advantage over the other new arrivals in California—she has the ability to sense gold, a secret known only by her handsome best friend Jefferson and her murdering uncle Hiram.

Lee and her friends have the chance to be the most prosperous settlers in California, but Hiram hasn’t given up trying to control Lee and her power. Sabotage and kidnapping are the least of what he’ll do to make sure Lee is his own. His mine is the deepest and darkest in the territory, and there Lee learns the full extent of her magical gift, the worst of her uncle, and the true strength of her friendships. To save everyone, she vows to destroy her uncle and the empire he is building—even at the cost of her own freedom.

The second epic historical fantasy in the Gold Seer trilogy by Rae Carson, the acclaimed author of The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

Goodreads Summary

I was so excited for this book, but after reading it, I was a tad disappointed. I slightly wish I had Lee's gold-detecting abilites. It sure came in handy for them when they were in California. However, gold almost always brings trouble and Lee's greedy uncle is hot on their tail. Once again, the plot revolves around escaping Lee's uncle and running away (I'm a fan of running away when faced with very mean and cruel people). While I did enjoy this plot the first time around, it got a little old/boring the second time around. I wish there had been more character development, too. I wanted to know more about the characters' pasts and who they were prior to the beginning of the series.

I still like Lee's character. She's a strong girl stuck in a difficult place. She has to think on her feet and resist jumping to conclusions. She's saddled with the weight of her evil uncle. The author focused a lot on perceived social issues. Some felt off the mark. Sometimes I felt like characters were thrown in just to make a point. I wish it had felt a little more organic to the novel. I liked how the setting and time fit together like puzzle pieces. I did think the romance was over-all sweet. It would be nearly impossible to hate Jefferson, the romantic interest. His dedication to Lee and good nature made him a wonderful secondary character.

3  Stars



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: