Red Queen by Christina Henry
Posted by Krystal Larson at 10:38 PM Thursday, October 6, 2016
The author of Alice takes readers back down the rabbit hole to a dark, twisted, and fascinating world based on the works of Lewis Carroll...
The land outside of the Old City was supposed to be green, lush, hopeful. A place where Alice could finally rest, no longer the plaything of the Rabbit, the pawn of Cheshire, or the prey of the Jabberwocky. But the verdant fields are nothing but ash—and hope is nowhere to be found.
Still, Alice and Hatcher are on a mission to find his daughter, a quest they will not forsake even as it takes them deep into the clutches of the mad White Queen and her goblin or into the realm of the twisted and cruel Black King.
The pieces are set and the game has already begun. Each move brings Alice closer to her destiny. But, to win, she will need to harness her newfound abilities and ally herself with someone even more powerful—the mysterious and vengeful Red Queen...
I love any take on Lewis Carroll books and this book was certainly no exception. This book was a much darker and more adult view of Alice in Wonderland. It was a little like a world turned sideways. The Cheshire cat was nothing like the fluffy, goofy cat in the movie and the Rabbit was certainly no kind bunny. Alice and the Hatcher are totally committed to finding his daughter despite the dangers and obstacles. I have to point out that this book makes much more sense if one has read the first in the series (that book is just as fast-paced and exciting!).
Alice's character hasn't changed much from the first book. She's still dedicated to helping the Hatcher and committing good acts despite the horrible terrain of Wonderland. Nothing is as she expected it to be and she has two Queens to contend with, each mad in her own way. Alice and the Hatcher develop a relationship much closer than friendship. I thought their romance was sweet and a little unsurprising. Overall, this is a great adult read and a fantastically re-imagined novel.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Dogs and Their People Giveaway!
- Judith McNaught 14 Ebook Giveaway and Promo!
- Rachel by Caroline Clemmons: Promo and Giveaway!
- The Blockade by Jean Johnson: Giveaway and Promo!
- Saint's Row by Elizabeth Blair: Promo!
- Spooktacular Giveaway Hop 2016!
- Lead with Your Heart . . . Lessons from a Life wit...
- Bound by Blood and Sand by Becky Allen
- Books I'm Excited For This Fall!
- An Import of Intrigue by Marshall Ryan Maresca: Pr...
- Love Our Vets: Restoring Hope for Families of Vete...
- We Are Not Tornadoes by Michael Kun and Susan Mull...
- The 10 Myths of Teen Dating: Truths Your Daughter ...
- A Date at the Altar by Cathy Maxwell: Promo!
- Kiss Cam by Kiara London
- Unblemished by Sara Ella
- Midnight Hour by C.C. Hunter
- Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh
- Unscripted Joss Byrd by Lydia Day Penaflor
- THESE SHALLOW GRAVES and UNFORGIVEN Now in Paperba...
- Trouble at Plantasy Land by Vicki Marquez: Q&A and...
- Metaltown by Kristen Simmons
- 101 Books to Read Before You Grow Up by Bianca Sch...
- The Immortal Throne by Bree Despain
- A Wedding for Christmas by Lori Wilde
- Black Jade by Kylie Chan
- The Best Possible Answer by E. Katharine Kottaras
- An Amish Family Christmas by Shelley Shepard Gray
- Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
- Just Fine With Caroline by Annie England Noblin
- For This We Are Soldiers by Carla Kelly
- My Pancakes Taste Different Today! by Heather Wood...
- Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
- For Sale by Owner by Marlene Batemen: Guest Post a...
- Christmas in Paris by Anita Hughes
- Redemption by Anne Osterlund: Character Interview ...
- The Turncoat's Gambit by Andrea Cremer
- Missy Piggle-Wiggle and the Whatever Cure by Ann M...
- The Ruining by Anna Collamore
- Beast by Brie Spangler
- Just Juliet by Charlotte Reagan
- Download Your Free How-To Guide for Bring Your Bib...
- Red Queen by Christina Henry
- Accidentally Me by Kim Karras
- The Second Season by Heather Chapman
- The Cruelty by S. Bergstrom
- The BFG by Roald Dahl
- The Real Liddy James by Anne-Marie Casey
- ▼ October (48)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)