Search This Blog


The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

Thursday, February 25, 2016
Nix has spent her entire life aboard her father’s ship, sailing across the centuries, across the world, across myth and imagination.

As long as her father has a map for it, he can sail to any time, any place, real or imagined: nineteenth-century China, the land from One Thousand and One Nights, a mythic version of Africa. Along the way they have found crewmates and friends, and even a disarming thief who could come to mean much more to Nix.

But the end to it all looms closer every day.

Her father is obsessed with obtaining the one map, 1868 Honolulu, that could take him back to his lost love, Nix’s mother. Even though getting it—and going there—could erase Nix’s very existence.

For the first time, Nix is entering unknown waters.

She could find herself, find her family, find her own fantastical ability, her own epic love.

Or she could disappear.

Goodreads Summary

So many other reviewers loved this book that I initially expected to fall in love, as well...but it did take me a few chapters before I truly got into the plot.  The best part of the book was imagining I could be Nix...a girl who traveled the world (including imaginary worlds) and was able to fully experience so many different types of events and people.  The worst part of the book...was imagining being Nix in regards to what went on with her.  It's possible I expected too much from positive reviews, but I didn't feel connected to Nix's character and had a hard time with her.  She seemed a bit vapid, at times.  

Kashmir, on the other hand, was a character I could get behind.  He's part of a three way love triangle with Nix and Blake-another boy introduced later in the book.  Sweet, caring, and funny-Kash is easy to like.  I felt bad that Nix didn't immediately choose him and make him feel like the only boy she liked.  Blake's character was OK and served its purpose in the love triangle, but I didn't know why his character was necessary.  I did like the depth in the book.  The mythology was intricate and very intriguing.  I liked learning new bits of lore.  I did have to set this book down and come back to it several times before finishing it (400+ pages!).  Overall, Kash's character, my dislike of Nix's father, and the sheer imagination behind the plot kept me reading.  This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

3 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ