Search This Blog


Team Human by Justine Larbalestier, Sarah Rees Brennan

Saturday, June 2, 2012
Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn’t mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It’s up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity!

On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.

Goodreads Summary

I thought I was tired of vampire books until I read this one. Many people dislike paranormal books that involve vampires, but this book breaks all norms and is hilarious. I laughed from start to finish and could not stop reading. Mel lives in one of the most diverse cities in America. The city has a large vampire population and a vampire boy is now attending her school. Mel is not prejudice at all and she supports all the laws that protect the undead community, but Mel does not want the creepy vampire boy dating her close friend Cathy. Another problem Mel has with vampires involves her other close friend Anna. After Anna’s father runs off with a vampire, Anna is really hurt and Mel is suspicious. Anna’s father is not the type of man who would abandon his family and Mel feels like the vampire now dating Cathy could be involved.
Anyone could have fun reading this book. Mel is a fun main character and every character has personality. The story is not super fast paced, but moves quickly enough to keep a reader’s attention. I was never bored or disappointed. This novel earns five out of five stars!     

5 Stars

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.


  1. Lalaine said...:

    OOh this sounds fantastic. I do like vampire stories but it depends. and this sounds really good. Ill go check it out. Great review.x


  1. When I first read the title of this one, I thought it would be a spoof on all paranormal's. It seems that I have misjudged. Team Human actually seems to touch on some serious issues, and yet still have humor involved. I am surprised that I haven't completely grown tired of Vampire books, but glad. If I was, I think I would miss out on the few gems that are out there. Thanks for your review of this book. I think I may just add it to my TBR.

  1. Steph said...:

    Great review! I've seen reviews about this book floating around, but I've never really looked closely at them. I'm glad that you loved it so much - your review makes me want to read it even more!

  1. I don't know why everyone complains about vampire books. I haven't read a YA vampire book in at least a year now. They don't even publish them anymore, it seems like. Team Human sounds different from anything I've ever read though. Can't wait to get to this one!

  1. TayteH said...:

    wow, sounds like a good vampire book. Better than most i've read at least. :D Thanks for the review.

  1. Lili said...:

    I can't even stress to you how badly I've been wanting this novel, and the fact that you gave it 5 stars is amazing. I find myself often agreeing with your opinions, so you've only intensified my desire to check out this book.

    I so badly wish I had an unlimited budget to buy whatever book I want whenever I want.

  1. This sounds great! I really don't too many vampire books but this sounds like a fun read. :)

  1. I've heard so much about this book! I think I'll check it out! :) Thanks for the review!

  1. Crystal said...:

    I actually thought this had something to do with the Being Human Show on SyFy (Which I LOVE) lol. This book does sound awesome though!

  1. I love vampires! Especially ones with humor that are unique. This one did sound funny and glad to hear you were laughing the whole time. I also love vampire books where the vampires are out to the humans. Interesting to see a vampire join Mel at school and try to date her friend.